Tuesday 29 November 2022

Malaysia Permanent Residence PR (Permit Masuk) - Application Process for Spouse

After 5 years of continuously living in Malaysia under a LTSVP (Spouse visa) the foreign husband/wife is allowed to apply for PR (Permit Masuk).

There are lots of negative comments on forums saying that getting PR is ‘impossible’ or ‘will take 25 years’! Despite this many people successfully obtain PR so I decided to apply. The only way of being 100% sure of not getting PR is by not applying for it!

I could have applied for PR in 2020, but as Covid made access to immigration complicated I delayed submitting my application until 2022. So far I have submitted my application and had the interview with the Immigration Officer.

I am currently waiting to hear from the Police for an interview with them. In this post I cover the application process (see my next post for details of my interview with Immigration https://spousevisamalaysia.blogspot.com/2022/11/malaysia-permanent-residence-pr-permit.html)

The application process (I applied in KL, the process may be different at other state offices):

Complete all forms and gather all information/documents requested
1) Collect original forms and checklist from Immigration:
Get these from the Permit Masuk counter; I got mine from Jalan Duta (KL). Other people have reported that Immigration may ask you some questions in Bahasa Malaysia before letting you have the forms.

2) Make appointment to submit your application:
You may only be able to arrange an appointment date for 3 months time
Go to https://www.imi.gov.my/ and choose Sistem Temujanji Online (STO) option. Make appointment for [Visa] Permit Masuk. Once you have an appointment print out the confirmation letter and bring with you to show to Immigration on the date of your appointment.

3) Complete all forms and covering letter and gather all information/documents requested:
This includes recent passport photos (blue background), statutory declaration (witnessed by Commissioner for Oaths), sponsor’s payslips and employment letter etc. Fill in the forms in BM. Allow plenty of time to do this as a lot of information is required.

You will need to get your birth certificate verified by your embassy. Embassies of certain countries will not do this and so you will need a letter from them confirming this and then get your birth certificate notarised by a Notary Public. I am from UK and the British High Commission will not notarise documents but provides a letter confirming this on their website:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-malaysia

I then had a copy of my birth certificate notarised by a Notary Public for RM75. I used Donny Wong & Co in Solaris Dutamas (Publika) who was very helpful.

Submit Application at Immigration
Attend your appointment at Immigration to submit your application:

Bring the print out of your appointment email plus all original documents and copies requested.

Before I was allowed to submit my application the officer spoke to me in Bahasa Malaysia to ask ‘Who is the Prime Minister?’ and advised me that I will need to speak BM in the interview. They want to make sure you are actually invested in living in Malaysia, so it is a good idea to learn general knowledge about Malaysia even at this stage.

Note that dress rules may be enforced e.g. no shorts/t-shirts/ slippers /short skirts. You may be turned away if you are not dressed correctly.

Once your application has been accepted you will be given a confirmation letter which you must keep safely and bring to the immigration and police interviews

The officer then asked me to make an appointment for an interview in about 4 months time (see my next post for this)

If you have found this information useful, please say thanks by buying me a coffee by clicking on this link:

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Thanks!